Is Running the new Tinder?

.....Uuuuuhmmmm why are we running again??

 Earlier this year, if someone had told me that I would voluntarily wake up before sunrise on weekends, sign up for walks and races, collect medals and somehow become interested in conversations about hydration and running shoes, I would have laughed.

Yet here I am. I have taken part in walks, marathons and hikes hardly for the fitness really, just photo dumps and Strava streaks. 

Somewhere between the Times Marathon, Women's Spar challenge, Lidwala walk and Pick n Pay's Bean There, Run That  coffee run, I realised something interesting is happening running has become the new cool. 

The country is moving and I mean literally, more importantly, people seem to genuinely want to move.

This year alone has seen a noticeable increase in community walks, marathons and wellness initiatives, with even more events still to come, including the KwaMaggogo Run in Manzini, the Nhlangano Half Marathon and what is increasingly becoming one of the country's biggest races, the Imbube Marathon.

Perhaps this should not come as a surprise. For years, the Ministry of Health has championed the message that 'health is wealth', encouraging Emaswati to become more active and take better care of themselves. 

Minister for Health Mduduzi Matsebula has repeatedly highlighted the importance of wellness, often noting during various walks and runs that stepping outside, meeting people and engaging in physical activity can sometimes make life's problems feel less significant.

Minister for  Sports, Culture and Youth Affairs Bongani Nzima has also consistently advocated for greater participation in sport and recreation, recognising the role physical activity plays in creating healthier and more connected communities.

Maybe we are finally listening, or its a cry for help ?? Or people genuinely love waking up in the AMs and literally run. I could even add they are runnign away from themselves. 

Or maybe we all have a serious case of FOMO. Because somewhere along the way, running became cool.

A few years ago, running was not exactly considered trendy. Most people associated it with elite athletes, school sports or those incredibly disciplined individuals who somehow enjoyed waking up at four in the morning.

Today, however, running has become a culture of its own. There are running clubs almost everywhere you look. 

Social media is filled AI posters advertising running, social media is also filled  with race-day pictures, sunrise runs and post-run coffee dates. 

People proudly share their medals and personal records, while others have somehow mastered the art of filming themselves while running without looking like they are fighting for their lives.

I recently discovered that 'PR' means personal record. Until a few months ago, I thought it had something to do with public relations.

Just yesterday I was heaving, fighting for mylife running the 10km, and my secret is I never prepare or generally work out. I wake up today, decide to ruj a 10km tomorrow ( that's how accessible they are) I think I do it for the goodie bags. 

This growing culture is not unique to Eswatini. Globally, running has experienced a massive resurgence, particularly among young people and women. 

What was once viewed as a solitary sport has become deeply social. Running clubs have become communities, offering people an opportunity to connect offline in a world that increasingly exists online.

The truth is that everyone wants to belong somewhere. Running offers that sense of belonging.

I struggle with unfamiliar socialising, but during these marathons or hiking, I find myself talking to people, taking pictures finding my color again. Jd ohw the best plug for athlesuire wear is PEP. 

It gives people a reason to leave their homes, meet new people and become part of something bigger than themselves. 

Friendships are being formed on running routes, networking opportunities are emerging during community events and, judging by some conversations online, there may even be a little romance involved.

Which brings me back to my original question. Is running the new Tinder? I ask this jokingly, of course.

But there is something undeniably appealing about meeting people through a shared interest rather than through an app and awkward small talk.

In many ways, running has become modern-day communities where people support one another, celebrate each other's achievements and encourage one another to keep going, whether in running or in life itself.

At a time when loneliness and burnout seem to affect so many people, there is something refreshing about seeing hundreds of strangers willingly gather at six in the morning simply to walk, run and spend time together.

Social media has also played its role in this wellness boom. Running simply looks fun, hear me fun not easy. 

The photographs are beautiful. The race shirts are nice. The medals make for excellent content and every event somehow ends with coffee, laughter and group pictures.

Naturally, this creates a little bit of fear of missing out. I suspect that not everyone initially joins because they genuinely enjoy running. 

Some people simply want to experience what everyone else seems to be talking about, and honestly, there is nothing wrong with that.

If fear of missing out encourages people to exercise, spend more time outdoors and prioritise their wellbeing, then perhaps it is one of the healthier trends we could participate in.

Besides, there are certainly worse things to build your personality around because yes, running has also become a personality.

People proudly identify themselves as runners. They collect medals, plan their calendars around races and casually mention distances that still sound impossible to some of us.

I will have you know this month alone I'm sitting on 34km of running and walking. 

In the same breath, I still do not fully understand why someone completes a 10-kilometre race and immediately decides that the next logical step is a half marathon. 

I also do not understand how runners somehow manage to look presentable after several kilometres while the rest of us are simply trying to remember how breathing works.

Yet despite my confusion, I completely understand why people keep returning.

As someone who has participated in more than five walks and races this year alone, I have come to realise that the appeal goes far beyond fitness.

Some people run to improve their health. Others run to clear their minds. Some run because it gives them structure, discipline and routine. 

Others simply enjoy the sense of community that comes with being surrounded by people who are all trying to become slightly better versions of themselves.

Perhaps Minister Matsebula was right. Sometimes our problems do feel a little less significant when we step outside, move our bodies and spend time with other people.

Perhaps this running boom is not really about running at all. Maybe it is about people searching for joy, connection and healthier ways of navigating modern life.

Whatever the reason may be, Eswatini is clearly  embracing wellness in a way that feels exciting and long overdue.

So, is running the new Tinder? Maybe. Is it a cry for help? Possibly.

Or perhaps we are simply witnessing a generation of people choosing community over isolation, movement over stagnation and wellness over burnout.

Either way, if you happen to see me signing up for yet another race despite repeatedly saying I would never do this again, please mind your business.

I, too, have become one of those people. And so lets meet on August 8, for the KwaMaggogo Run in Manzini, 6:00 am sharp!!




Previous Post Next Post